silver linings on the setting sun
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." -- Oscar Wilde
nyc transplant, canadian soul. sporadic brushstrokes, occasional penmanship, continuous wandering.
(Lake Ontario waterfront, Toronto)
NICE THOUGHTS CHALLENGE. Once you get this you have to say 5 nice things about yourself publicly and send this to 10 of your favorite followers. But not back to me, of course.
5 nice things about myself…
- I paint things, and sometimes they turn out pretty dang cool
- I am basically Asian-mother-certified wife material in the kitchen
- After 20 years I can now reliably put eyeliner on with a 90% success rate
- I am a fantastic person to get drunk with because I will drink all of that crappy vodka you hate but still have lying around, and I still won’t mess up your house
- Who am I kidding I’m awesome what else do you need
Book Meme~ (tagged by mylifeinmonochrome
Rules: In a text post, list ten books that have stayed with you in some way. Don’t take but a few minutes, and don’t think too hard — they don’t have to be the “right” or “great” works, just the ones that have touched you. Tag [ten] friends, including me, so I’ll see your list. Make sure you let your friends know you’ve tagged them.
In no particular order, and just a selection:
- Animal Farm - George Orwell
- Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling
- On the Genealogy of Morality - Friedrich Nietzsche
- Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
- 1984 - George Orwell
- The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera
- Lord of the Flies - William Golding
- The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkein
- Le Petit Prince - Antoine de St. Exupery
serious asian problems: trying to figure out what to feed your sister’s non-asian friends when they stay for dinner
A reckoning of our time alive. 18x24, acrylic on canvas.
Seagulls on the shoreline at low tide
- U.S.-only shipping
- U.S.-only free shipping
- $[too much] flat rate shipping to Canada
- Books. Who decided that stacks of paper glued together should cost more above the 49th parallel?
- VPN servers and pretending to the internet that I’m still across the border
- Amazon in Canada
- Everything that sells stuff that is still stuck in the day when the Canadian dollar was 0.70 to the US dollar okay we are done things should cost the same now
tl;dr the US makes consumerism easy and material convenience is addictive.
solid slabs of concrete don’t amount to
a city of coldness; tight spaces and
slivers of sky can’t block out the air.
(I breathed freely here.)
on foreign words like foreign roads
I stumbled over jagged edges
(it let the breeze into my veins, but it was me
that kept it in.)
isn’t it ironic that the shortest things
carve the deepest
I heard that from a dusty grey crow
perched on a linden tree.
so let’s lick the foam off our coffees, I’ll drink
the foam off my beer (and raise a glass
to the man with the guitar on the Pankow train.)
we were painted like the walls, reckless.
(cut me now, I think I’d still bleed prussian blue.)
Tu étais formidable, j’étais fort minable
Nous étions formidables
As of yet untitled. Acrylics.